Hey there! I’m Josh and I’m HERE to make You A Faster video editor.
My last name is Short and I’m actually short too. Yep. I’m 5’3”. Growing up short with a last name of Short puts a chip on your shoulder. How can you great at something if you are constantly doubted? If you literally can’t reach the top? Easy – do it faster than anyone else. Edit Video Faster is about how I became the fastest editor I can be and how you can do the same.
I want to share every bit of knowledge I have acquired on speeding up the video editing process. That comes in many forms. My favorite method is through keyboard shortcuts and quick timesaving tricks you probably didn’t even know where in your NLEs. You’ll find this site is riddled with these kind of tips and tutorials.
I’m only 8 years into this whole editing career thing but along the way I have learned the hard way on how to deal with bad clients and even worse producers. I have gone up the ranks from intern to senior editor. I’ve ran my own video department and team. And I’ve gone fully freelance as well. If any of those topics interest you, stick around!
As far as software goes, this site is primarily focused on Avid Media Composer, After Effects and Premiere Pro with other applications sprinkled in. Those are the tools I use on a daily basis.
I might do things differently than other editors but I ask you to give me a shot and keep the website positive and fun. Share your best practices alongside mine and we can create a better culture in the professional video editor community.
If you’re new to the site below are a couple posts I recommend starting with:
- Edit Video Faster Archive (literally every post organized and categorized on EVF)
- Mastering Avid Media Composer’s Keyboard Shortcuts Series
- Over the Editor’s Shoulder Part I
- Meeting Video Professionals, Building Your Network and Finding Future Gigs
- How to Become the Best Production Assistant and Assistant Editor
- Editing for Others vs. Editing for Ourselves
- Why I Work for Free…Sometimes
- My First Big Screw Up as a Video Editor
- Command+Edit Podcast (This will take you off my website but over to my podcast which of course is about video editing!)
If you are struggling with anything specific reach out to me. You can use the contact page or email me — josh [at] editvideofaster.com.
Join me on Edit Video Faster and become a faster, better and more confident video editor. Go to this page to sign up to get notified about new articles, tutorials, news and special offers.
That’s it! Shoot me an email if you have any questions. Otherwise please go to this page to stay in touch and I’ll see you soon!